LAST MINUTE TIPS FOR THE JULY 2010 NLE
WARNING: NO OTHER WEBSITE HAS PERMISSION TO POST THIS TO THEIR SITE. YOU CAN ONLY LINK IT FROM PINOYBSN.
10. Accept the fact that you can never know everything. Therefore, once you see an unfamiliar question that was never been taught, use your test taking strategies.
9. If you are in Test I, II, III, and IV and you are being asked to prioritize, Use the principle of prioritization.
8. The use of your nursing process is heralded by the word: "The Nurse Would or The nurse's initial action" Remember to Assess first before intervening. If the situation and the question already assessed the patient, then proceed with the next step.
7. Encircle your modifiers. Some people make mistakes because of failure to see the word, "EXCEPT" or "NOT" or "INAPPROPRIATE"
6. Use your questionnaires as your scratch. You can write anything on that paper. If you will skip a number, place an asterisk or encircle the number.
5. DO NOT USE BLUNT PENCIL. Always use a sharp one and shade lightly. A sharpened pencil will give a very dark shade even if you will shade it lightly. Use the sides of the pencil not the tip. Use MONGOL NUMBER 2 ONLY. Some brands especially those made in china pencils are substandard. The machine will check the lead. If you are INCONSISTENT with your shading like an altering dark and light shades, you will FAIL the boards because of technicalities.
NEVER USE SAME PENCIL THAT YOU USED IN ANNOTATING YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE AND ANSWERING THE ANSWER SHEET. Use separate pencils for the questionnaire and answer sheet.
Study the following topics:
1. Research in Nursing
A. Dependent and Independent Variable
B. Types of Hypothesis
C. Pure and Applied research
D. Experimental and Non Experimental
E. Statistics : Chi square, T test, ANOVA, P value
F. Research subject rights
G. Research designs
H. Probability and Non Probability sampling
2. Ethical and Moral responsibility
A. Code of ethics / BON RES 220
B. Ethics VS Morality
H. Non Maleficence
A. Sentinel Event and Incidence Report
C. Bed falls
D. Transferring from Bed to chair/wheelchair, Chair to Bed
E. Pressure sores
F. Medication Safety
G. Moving the client up in Bed
H. Wheel chair safety
4. Career Advancement
A. Expanded nursing role
B. Continuing professional Education and Advance education programs
C. Purpose of CPE/AEP
D. Career development
E. Lifelong learning
5. Quality Improvement
A. Structure, Process, Outcome standards/evaluation
B. Nursing audit
C. Incidence report
E. Organizational chain of commands
F. What to report to the Nurse supervisor/Headnurse
B. Verbal/Non verbal
C. Kinesics,Proxemics and Paraverbal
D. Types of Interview
E. Establishing trust and rapport
A. Patients chart, Ownership
B. Disposal, Archiving of medical records
C. People that could and could not access medical records
D. Permission for accessing patients chart
8. Environmental management
A. Disposal of hospital waste
B. Safe water supply
C. Water sanitation
D. Water pollution
E. Air pollution
F. Stress management and Burn out
9. Collaboration and Team work
A. Mutual trust, respect and decision making
B. Hospital departments and collaborative responsibilities
10. Health teaching and Health education
A. Assessment,Planning,Implementation and Evaluation
B. Assess patients knowledge before conducting teaching
C. Create a teaching plan
D. Implement teaching from simple to complex
E. Demonstration is the best evaluation of learning
F. Domains of learning : COGNITIVE,AFFECTIVE,PSYCHOMOTOR
In your NP I, Remember to master these topics : The levels of prevention, 3 way bottle system, Chest physiotherapy and Postural drainage, NGT, Scientific theory of management, Nursing process, Managerial process, Managerial leadership style, Patterns of Nursing care, Knowing your Independent and Dependent variable, The exact arrangement of the research process as well as research design [qualitative and quantitative] , Sampling methods both the probability and non probability, RA 9173, The PRC and the BON Power and responsibilities as stipulated in RA 9173, The nurse's code of ethics, Nursing ethical principles like your benificence, non maleficence, prudence, justice, etc. Delegation and prioritization [Staff nurse will report to headnurse and then supervisor] Therapeutic communication, always answer "You seem afraid or upset"The complications of Immobility like your atelectasis, pneumonia and deep vein thrombosis and also your crimes related to nursing and the circumstances of the crimes, Blood transfusion and IV Fluids and your IV Therapy, which are isotonic, hypo and hypertonic, The complications associated with IV therapy like Phlebitis and Infiltration.
In your NP II, Remember the following : Stages of labor, The causes of bleeding during pregnancy in the first, second and third trimester, Anesthesia during labor and interventions when the client is in PACU, Epidural, Spinal, Intrathecal Anesthesia, IMCI Pneumonia, Diarrhea, Malaria and Measles especially the breathing cut off according to age [ Eg. 60 for under 2 months ], Acute/Chronic cutoff [Acute diarrhea, Persistent diarrhea and ear infection under 14 days] The interventions for CHILD A, B and C, The world health organization programs, COPAR, Breastfeeding and Attachment, Heat loss of neonates, Contraceptives [ Condom, Cervical cap, IUD (Contraindications) Characteristic of toddlers in communicating [ Negativistic, Give option, Asking too many questions] .Leukemia and other hematologic diseases of the child, Newborn screening and the different diagnostic examinations for the female client and neonate especially your Amniocentesis, Sonogram and Leopold's maneuver. Study Pregnancy induce hypertension.
your III and IV, Master the following topics : Burns, Classification of Burns and Nursing Diagnosis for Burns, Drug use in burns [Silver Sulfadiazine], Electrolyte changes in burn [Hyperkalemia, Hyponatermia]. The WHO Pain ladder scale, Pain medications especially Demerol and Morphine, Pancreatitis, Cholecystitis, Hepatitis, Diabetes Milletus, Hyperkalemia, Hypokalemia, Hypo and Hypercalcemia ECG Changes in your fluid and electrolye imbalances as well as in your Myocardial Infarction, Pharmacologic and Non pharmacologic pain medications, HIV/AIDS Psychosocial managements, Pneumonia, Tuberculosis and Leprosy especially knowing which are the late and early signs of leprosy. Study Blood transfusion, Breast cancer and Colon cancer and the management and care of client's with colostomy. Study perioperative nursing and the complications following anesthesia, PACU Monitoring, Activities in the operating room, The aseptic technique, the functions of a srub and circulating nurse. Diabetes Milletus type 1, Insulin administration and monitoring for hypoglycemia, S/S of hypoglycemia, Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism, PTU, Lugol's,Tapazole/Methimazole, Acute and chronic renal failure, Renal transplantation [including the incision location after] Dialysis, AGN, Rheumathoid and Ostearthritis, Bell's Palsy and Trigeminal neuralgia, Leukemia and Hematologic disorders especially Anemia. Blood transfusion reaction and the nursing actions during blood transfusion reaction. Anticancer drugs especially Oncovin, Prednisone, Adriamycin and Cytoxan. Study radiation and chemotherapy and their usual side effects [Skin burn, redness, do not wet radiation mark]. Mammography, BSE, TSE, DRE, Prostate and Colon cancer, Changes that occurs during elderly, Bladder, Colon and Cervical cancer Diagnostic examination/CEA,Proctosigmoidoscopy,Biopsy,Pap smear, Cytoxan, Oncovin and Adriamycin, Liver cancer/cirrhosis. Screening examinations for Colon,Liver,Breast and Lung cancer [No routine screening]. Radon gas, Asbestos and Carbon monoxide poisoning.
For NPV : Restraints, Parkinsons, Dementila/Alzheimers, Anxiety and anxiety disorders, The level of anxiety and your anxiolytics, Schizophrenia : Paranoid type and Catatonic type and your nursing interventions for these clients as well as your priority nursing diagnosis. Depression and your antidepressants, Mania, Personality disorders especially your Antisocial, Borderline and Paranoid. The defense mechanism use for different types of personality disorders and the priority NURSING DIAGNOSIS for each personality disorders, Antipsychotic drugs its side effects and nursing intervention for each side effects. Electroconvulsive therapy, Thought process disturbance manifestation such as Clang Association, Pressured speech, Thought blocking, Word salad, perseveration etc. etc. Alteration in perception and thought like hallucination and delusion. Types of delusions eg. religious and persecutory. Activities and diet as well as nursing diagnosis for a client with Mania, Depressed and Alzhemiers/Dementia patient, Eating disorders and the treatments of choice [Cognitive Behavior therapy for Anorexia, Psychotheapy for the PDs, Cognitive for depression ] Always answer "STAY WITH THE CLIENT" especially if the question is about anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Always choose an option that will encourage verbalization of feelings, never answer an option with the word WHY.
Study your counter transference and your transference, Glaucoma, Cataract and crutch/cane walking. The principles of body mechanics, cranial nerve functioning and how to assess them as well as their disturbances especially Bells and Trigemnal Neuralgia. Meniere's disease, Delirum, Dementia, CVA/Stroke pathophysiology and Risk Factors.
Fluphenazine Decanoate [IM,Monthly], Haloperidol, Thorazine and SSRI Prozac S/E.
For OR Nursing, review the following:
1. Functions and roles of the Circulating nurse, scrub nurse, anesthesiologist and surgeon.
2. Counting process of instruments, needles, and equipments.
3. Sterilization, Disinfection [High level to low level] and decontamination.
4. AORN guidelines in sterilization
5. Restricted, semi restricted and unrestricted areas and their appropriate attire
6. PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENTS
7. Critical, Non critical and Semi critical instruments. [ Critical is sterilized, Non critical is decontaminated and Semi critical is disinfected ]
8. Event related sterility
9. ANESTHESIA : Types and side effects. Routes of Spinal and epidural anesthesia. Caring for clients in the PACU.
10. The functions of different hospital departments: Blood bank, Dietary, Chaplaincy, Social service, pathology and crematory.