PRC allows the year’s new batch of nurses to take oath
THE Professional Regulation Commission said on Thursday that the successful examinees in the June 2006 nurse licensure examination will take their oath next month but warned that a National Bureau of Investigation finding that there was indeed a leakage may lead to the suspension or revocation of licenses.
PRC Chairman Leonor Rosero said that successful board candidates would be allowed to take their oath on August 22 as professionals.
She was quick to warn that in the event that the ongoing NBI investigation shows that a leakage took place, the commission would not hesitate to revoke or suspend their license.
Meanwhile, the two PRC employees who were identified as the source of the leakage were “inhibited” from performing their functions while under investigation.
“We instructed them to inhibit from their functions in the PRC,” Rosero said, referring to a certain Anesia Dionisio and Virginia Madeja, the alleged source of the leakage.
But tracing which schools and who among the board examinees who passed have benefited from the leakage is a tall order for the NBI.
“It’s now the job of the NBI to establish if there was really a leakage. The only evidence that we have is the manuscript of the 500 test questions. How this manuscript landed in the hands of the students, that we really don’t know,” Rosero said.
Bowing to pressures, the commission finally released the results of the June 11-12 nursing board examinations. More than 17,000 of the nearly 43,000 nurses who took the exams passed.
The board topnotcher came from the University of Pangasinan, with a 83.20-percent score. The second placer graduated from the University of the Philippines in Manila. Of the schools with more than 100 examinees, Saint Louis University in Baguio City was topnotcher.
It was earlier reported that the leak took place in Baguio.
On Tuesday, officials of the Ray A. Gapuz Review Center—alleged to be the source of the leak—denied any participation in the disclosure.
Prof. Ray Gapuz, founder and chairman of the company, however, admitted that he received a faxed copy of an 18-page handwritten manuscript a day before the exams containing questions on nursing terms in bullet points which allegedly came out in the examination sheet.
Gapuz even admitted that he allowed the circulation of the manuscript to students who had asked him if they can read it or share it with other students.
Meanwhile, Rosero dismissed criticisms that the integrity of the board exams had suffered because of the leak.
On Wednesday parents of the board examinees stormed the PRC office upon the release of test results.
“Di naman po lahat dahil yong apat na tests ay maayos naman po [I don’t think so because the four other tests were in order],” Rosero said.
She said that one of the tests had a 20-percent outcome from the leak. “But still 80 percent had been proven competent from that test.”
The parents criticized the PRC for releasing the results while the NBI probe is ongoing.
Rosero said that the contested questions were invalidated and taken out from the correction and computation of Tests 3 and 5.
“The investigation is with the NBI to pursue but we have to release the results so that the examinees will not have to wait one year to know the results,” Rosero said.
--Francis Earl A. Cueto
FROM: THE MANILA TIMES